Real Therapy with Just Me - Shanty
Career Background and Qualifications
Hello and welcome! I'm Shanty - owner, therapist, and wellness educator. With over a dozen years of experience and having helped thousands of clients improve their lives, I am here to help you reclaim your life!
While in grad school in the metro Portland, Oregon area, I interned as a domestic violence and crisis counselor and did a lot of work with anxiety, trauma, and PTSD issues.
Back in Michigan, I spent most of the last 12 years working in substance abuse and mental/behavioral health in both residential and outpatient programs and was even a clinical supervisor for 5 years. As a supervisor I trained other clinicians and oversaw their clinical work.
Now, I split my time between two jobs: running and being a therapist for my own private practice, which is my passion, and then I also hold an agency job where I run groups and do substance abuse evaluations.
Outside of therapy, I have a wonderful rescue dog (Lucy) that was adopted about 9 1/2 years ago. She is the sassiest, smartest, and most smart-mouthed dog I have ever met, and I love her, and all her quirks, to absolute pieces. Otherwise, I spend a lot of time with my aging parents, and have a love of the outdoors and nature (where wilderness gives me peace and grounding), Oh and I shouldn't forget my interests in cheesecake, books, just learning, sports, cars, plants, essential oils, photography, and random/epic road trips and adventures.
As a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in Michigan I am also a certified:
- Advanced Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CAADC)
- Clinical Trauma Professional (CCTP)
- Advanced Grief Counseling Specialist (CAGCS)
- Addictions Certification Supervisor (CCS)
- Michigan LPC Licensing Supervisor
- Working with military personnel with PTSD and struggling to re-acclimate
- Domestic violence work
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (C-DBT)
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Cognitive Processing Therapy
- Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- And more...
I hold the following degrees:
- MA in Counseling Psychology - Pacific University, Oregon, 2009
- BA in Psychology - Aquinas College, Michigan, 2007
- AA in Criminal Justice - Lansing Community College, Michigan, 2006
- AA in Psychology - Lansing Community College, Michigan, 2004
Treatment Focus and Specialties
Aging and Geriatrics
Borderline Personality Disorder
Chronic Illness/Pain/Medical Diagnosis
Call (517) 221-9522 to Schedule
Integrating Approaches to fit your Individualized Needs
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
Attachment Based Therapies
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT)
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
Emotion Focused Therapies
Experiential Based Therapies
Exposure and Desensitization (ED)
Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP)
Mindfulness and Motivational Approaches
Positive Psychology Approaches
Solution Focused and Brief Therapies (SFBT)
Somatic and Body Approaches (e.g. Polyvagel)
Strength Based Approaches
Trauma Focused (TF-CBT)